Men aren’t the only ones who suffer from hair loss. Many women go through this difficult time as well. Hair loss in women is not considered a good thing; some might even say it is a taboo topic that many would not like to talk about. However, it is a natural process that many people go through and there are many treatments available for this condition. One of the best and most cost-effective methods is getting hair transplant surgeries.
Starting from the top, we shall discuss the three major types of hair loss that occur in women. The best solution for all three categories is hair transplants for women. Many experts are available who will be able to determine the cause accurately and proceed to solve the problem appropriately.
Three types of hair loss
Localized hair loss
Non-scarring or scarring is the primary diagnosis for localized hair loss. A genetic condition called alopecia areata is one of the most common reasons for the non-scarring type of hair loss. Lichen planus, local radiation, or lupus are some of the reasons behind scarring hair loss. There are times a person may suffer from baldness due to an injury that may have happened in the past. Medical problems are also one of the reasons. Usually, such conditions are easily curable by a hair transplant.
Diffuse hair loss
It is the most common type of hair loss in women. In this type, the hair starts to thin out before it drops out of the head. The reason for this is that the hair follicle reduces in size, so it cannot fit the shaft anymore and fall off. The problem with this type of hair loss is that it does not make an excellent candidate for hair transplant. It does not allow doctors to take out pieces of hair as the donor area starts thinning out as well.
Pattern hair loss
This type of baldness is similar to male pattern baldness. It makes an excellent candidate as the pattern is somewhat similar to that of men. The hair starts thinning out and losing from the temple and center of the head, while the side of the hair remains thick.
When to consider a hair transplant?
Pattern baldness usually occurs in men. As explained earlier, during this condition, hair is lost from the upper temple and center of the head. The hair on the sides of the head are still thick and do not fall. The reason that hair loss occurs is DHT, which causes the hair to fall out of its shaft. This type of hair loss makes a person an excellent candidate for hair transplant surgeries.
However, women hardly go through such pattern baldness. Usually, the type of hair loss that occurs is diffuse hair loss. As the hair thins out all over the head and every area witnesses hair loss, there is not a place that makes a firm basis to extract a piece of the scalp that can then be used to replace the part where the hair loss occurred.
It is this reason why women are not usually considered to be good candidates for hair transplant surgeries. As all the hairs are affected by DHT and experience thinning out, there is no area which is strong enough or in its old condition to allow doctors to use it for the procedure. This problem cannot be solved by this process.
As a result, only about 5% women who are suffering from hair loss can get hair transplant surgeries. The diffuse hair loss condition is the main problem for that one. The ones who can get their problem sorted by hair transplant are those who have good donor areas i.e. places where the hair follicles are not affected by DHT and make sure that they remain in excellent condition.
Pros vs. cons
Now that you know about the types of hair loss in women and where hair transplant can be used, let’s discuss the advantages and disadvantages of getting a hair transplant.
- You will regain the look of your youth which will, in turn, restore your confidence and self-esteem.
- You will not need to get any other type of treatment done as this surgery is a one-time thing and is guaranteed to make your hair stick in place. It will also save you costs of repeated visits and trying out other remedies.
- The entire procedure is natural. The hair that will come out will be of the same texture and color, so nobody will be able to tell the difference. You will be using your own hair in the process, and it will start to re-grow the way it was before.
- There are two different types of hair transplant techniques that you can choose from. This means that you will have the ability to choose the one that you are more comfortable with. One will give you a slight scar, while the other will not. The surgeon will be the best person to determine the type of surgery you should get. You can weigh the pros and cons of each one before opting for surgery.
- The only unnatural medicine that will be needed during the operation is the anesthesia to numb the area under treatment. Besides that, the treatment is entirely safe and will not damage your head or hair.
- You do not need any special shampoos or any other product to manage the new hair. You simply need to take care of it the way you used to.
- If you have any other type of hair loss condition besides pattern baldness, there is a possibility that you will not be able to get a hair transplant surgery. Various other conditions will also be a determining factor.
- The quality of the operation is highly dependent on the health and quality of the donor area.
- It can take some time to recover from this surgery.